New Zealand South Canterbury Battalion Rifle Volunteers Collar Badge - 1903 to 1911
A rare, bi-metal collar badge to the South Canterbury Battalion Rifle Volunteers.
Headquarters was Timaru, with the badge worn from 1903 to 1911.
Post 1911 the collar was adopted by the 2nd (South Canterbury) Infantry Regiment, but it was modified, with a change to the wording to the circular banner to center.
The white metal part of the badge is polished, esp to the Kiwi's body. The Kiwi is loose, and moves from left to right.
It does NOT appear to have been added/fiddled with, and is original to badge. It is also the correct pattern (post 1911, the Kiwi and background is a different shape and stance).
To back are two D shaped copper looped lugs, firm and original.
No maker mark. This is a rare badge, worn on the right collar.